Remember this post? It was what I wrote three years ago when Caleb was born regarding why we choose the names we do for our children:
For the most part, people pick a name for their child for one of couple reasons, they like the name, its meaning and/or a family significance. So it was no surprise that many people have asked us, "How did you guys come up with the name, Caleb?" In fact, I can remember them asking us the same thing with Elyse, and I had the exact same response. We chose the name because of the reasons above. We love the name, they can not be shortened, for instance, Samuel to Sam, but more importantly, we love the meaning.
Elyse Irene: (Elyse) God is my oath, (Irene) peaceful
Caleb William: (Caleb) faithful & devoted to the Lord, (William) will to protect
Kallen Samuel: (Kallen) Blessed, Holy and Pure, (Samuel) God heard or Requested of God
Now onto the amazing story of how we decided on the name, Ian:
I can remember this as if it took place yesterday. Nate and I were cleaning out the garage while the kiddos were riding their bikes. All of a sudden Elyse rides her bike into the garage and tells us she wants to name her brother. Instantly it made me nervous, what was she going to say?!? She then said she wanted to name her brother, Ian. Nate and I looked at each other with the same face, not bad, we could do Ian, it has potential. I then tell Elyse I have to know the meaning. I looked it up to discover Ian means, "God is gracious," perfect! Now to top off the story, I asked Elyse how she came up with Ian since no one at church, her school or gym childcare has that name. She responded with, "It was in my head, God just told me that is his name." Nate and I agreed at that moment, Ian it was. A perfect story and perfect name for our perfect fourth blessing.
Ian Matthew: (Ian) God is Gracious, (Matthew) Gift of God

4 comments:
That face is too precious... And I love that while Elyse didn't get the sister she wanted, she was able to name Ian... and such a wonderful story for the name.
I love that you went with the name Elyse picked; she's right - it suits him perfectly!
They are truly blessings from above!
Good job Elyse. Can't wait to meet the little guy!
G K
Post a Comment