Friday, May 10, 2013

"Why?"

Caleb has recently discovered the word parents of toddlers despise, "Why?"  Thankfully I never really dealt with the word with Elyse.  She was so advanced in her vocabulary she would just ask me an entire different sentence to get the answer she wanted.  Caleb on the other hand, asks "Why?" after everything I ask of him.  At times it gets really old because it occurs even after I give a specific reason why.  For instance,
Me: "Caleb, lets go potty now so you do not have to go at the store." 
Caleb: "Why?"
Me: "I just told you why, so you don't have to go at the store." :)

Another moment in parenthood where patience is tested daily.  It's a good thing I love him so much and I know it will end sometime soon ;)

4 comments:

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Ahh! The infamous "Why" stage. Every parent knows it well and inwardly groans! But...it's a GOOD thing! Why? (pun intended) Because it is a developmental milestone! Those little wheels are turning in Caleb's mind...making neural pathways and he is realizing there is a "why" or a "how" behind everything. In a sense he's learning how things work and developing reasoning skills. Congrats, Caleb! I dare you to drive your Mama crazy! How many times can you ask "why" in one day? Ready, Set, Go!!! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Why!! Why!! Don't you wish you knew what they were really thinking.
G K

Shawn and Amelia said...

Ugh - the "whys"!! I read somewhere that they're an early attempt at making conversation, and one strategy to keep it going is to turn it around and pose the same question to the child ("why do you think...?"). Not sure if it works, but makes me feel better than giving the same answer over and over again :0)