Monday, October 26, 2009

H1N1

So I'm so confused with this entire H1N1 epidemic the news is always talking about. I don't know what to do? Should I or shouldn't I give Elyse the vaccine???? I'm so confident in one thing and then tend to change my mind all over again. So I know your opinion isn't going to make my decision, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks about it. Therefore, feel free to comment any thoughts you may have about the H1N1 vaccine. Please also feel free to vote on the left side whether or not you would give your child the vaccine.

All I know is that I can't be afraid of it or hide all winter, both Elyse and I would go CRazY!

6 comments:

nick&abby said...

Ooh yeah...such a toughie!
Here's what we are telling patients at the hospital....
if you are around groups of people alot (like daycare)...if you have a weak immune system...if you are pregnant...if you are around sick people alot...
then you NEED to consider the vaccine.
Really...good handwashing everytime you get home from being outside or out somewhere....keep handsanitizer with you and use it after you touch door handles, cart handles, restaurant tables...anything out in public.
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here...you care about Elyse and want to make the best decision for her...and you will :)

nick&abby said...

ps...no, I'm not planning on getting Addy vaccinated...

ebshelt said...

I'm pretty sure that Audrey and my husband are sick with H1N1 right now (I'm still healthy so far). It has not been fun, but it hasn't been the end of the world either. Our Dr. prescribed Tamiflu for Audrey which is supposed to help lessen the symptoms...she's just had one dose so far so we'll see if it helps. The good news I see about them getting the flu is that they've had it now, and hopefully that means they can't get it again...so that provides some relief. We were not planning to vaccinate Audrey before all this happened. Our pediatrician was hesitant to recommend the vaccine since it is so new and hasn't had time to be proven effective yet.

If Elyse does get the flu, I think the important thing is just to watch her closely, which I'm sure you would already be doing. There are a bunch of warning signs to watch for in case of an emergency situation. It has caused me to not sleep very soundly for the past few nights, as I am worried about her and checking on her, but so far she's doing OK. It hasn't been any different than just the regular flu.

That's a long answer, not sure if it helps, but I thought I would chime in!

Shawn and Amelia said...

We're no help since we're still undecided on the H1N1 vaccine for Liam, too (he's already had the mercury-free regular flu shot this season)... It's not available in our area yet so I'm still weighing pros and cons!

Honestly, I'm a little leery of the vaccine being so new without a lot of testing and would generally pass on it. BUT, with a newborn in the house, we're considering it for Liam since he's most likely to pick up germs. We've had a number of friends with H1N1, and they're seeing fevers in the 104 range... While I've had enough experience with Liam being ill to know how he handles fever and what warning signs to watch for, I'm terrified of Greta coming down with any kind of flu at this point!

Told you I wasn't going to be helpful!! But just another take :0)

Kari said...

Hey Natalie, I saw this through Jenny's blog so I'm randomly posting! The biggest myth about this vaccine is that it is so new and hasn't had much testing. It is actually the exact same vaccine that has been given for the seasonal flu every year with great results..they just added another strain into it that covers H1N1. Also, it has been tested very well. Mark, Eli and I all got the vaccine because I am pregnant and it has been very dangerous for pregnant women. The number of pregnant women and children dying from this is a little scary to me. I know we all just want to protect our children and I hope you find the decision that is best for your family! I was very scared about this too!
Kari

Kari said...

Oh yeah..I got my info from my Mom. She is a nurse who is directly involved with the whole H1N1 uproar!